What You'll Want To Figure Out To Start Gaining Clarity
I know how you feel as a career clarity seeker because I've been there too and ended up halfway across the world in pursuit of a career that resonated and felt right. Like I did you also:
• Feel like you could be doing more with your life.
• Want more than a great paycheck. You want a fulfilling and meaningful role.
• Lack strategic direction and need career clarity so you can continue to achieve success in your career and life.
Let's start by talking about passion. It's one of the topics you may want to explore when you're on the journey of discovering your ideal career move.
The intersection of one's mission and passion is powerful. Deloitte has found that passionate workers "focus on their own learning and achieving more of their potential rather than on preset metrics or external rewards." We need passionate workers in the workplace.
Here are some questions to help you figure out your passion:
• What problems would you like to solve if you were given a three-month sabbatical?
• What do your friends say you do well?
• What tasks, conversations, and or actions make you feel most energized?
Questions to help figure out your mission:
• What do you value?
• In your eyes, what is the meaning and purpose of life?
• What do you want to give to the world?
I like the "Workview Reflection" section in Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans. Here are a few of the questions in their book:
• Some people work to keep their brains and bodies healthy; others work for purpose or lifestyle. Why do you work?
• What defines excellent or worthwhile work?
• What does money have to do with work?
• What do experience, growth, and fulfillment have to do with work?
It's amazing how tapping into the above plus your intrinsic motivators and capabilities, and using that to guide your career path can rapidly up-level your life. How are you using these factors to achieve your career goals?
Here are 3 common intrinsic motivators:
➞ Being healthy and mentally, socially and emotionally challenged - well-being
➞ Changing the trend in your family, culture or society - impact
➞ Providing for others and yourself - security
When you find work that fulfills you intrinsically and utilizes your capabilities, it becomes meaningful but remember you'll need this too...
Your work-life harmony temperament + the corporate culture matching your values = true joy and career clarity.